Archive | Historical RSS feed for this section

Silver Cleek comes home to Douglas Park

Taking delivery of the club

Taking delivery of the club

The Club was delighted to acquire a Silver Cleek first used in June 1907 by the then Club Captain, WJ Anderson, to drive off at the ‘brand new’ 1st hole (our current 1st hole).

Club Captain Alistair Forrest took ownership of the club on behalf of Douglas Park from collector Keith Baugh of Kirkcaldy when he visited us on Friday afternoon.  The club is engraved with the ceremony details and both the hallmark and authenticity have been checked

Its whereabouts over the years is unfortunately unclear, but Past Captain and club Archivist Harry MacAnespie, who was also in attendance at the handover has taken great pleasure in ‘getting on the case’.

The club is currently on display at the front left of the trophy cabinet in the lounge until a permanent plinth is sourced. Those members with the Douglas Park Centenary Book can find reference to the story on Page 17 of the book.

The club with engraving

The club with engraving

 

Comments { 0 }

Some Douglas Park history

Club Archivist Harry MacAnespie has kindly produced this note on one of the  long term family connections at Douglas Park. 

The Family of Adams at the Douglas Park Golf Club.

This was a notable golfing family in Douglas Park Golf Club over a period of many years from 1910 until possibly the 1960s.  David Adams Snr. was a professional golfer and clubmaker and owned a successful sports shop in Royal Exchange Square in Glasgow.  He provided professional golf services to Riddrie Golf Club in the east end ofGlasgowfrom 1899 till 1910 and to Douglas Park Golf Club from 1910 till 1938.

There were three sons – David Jnr., Jimmy, and Herbert.  Jimmy was apparently the most successful player, winning the Club Championship at Douglas Park on no less than seven occasions:-  1929, 1931, 1934, 1937, 1938, 1946, and 1948.  In the early 1950s he was also in a three way tie for the Dunbartonshire County Championship over 36 holes, played at Douglas Park.  He tied with John W. Mill and Dr. Tom Gordon, both of whom were also members of Douglas Park.  The play-off the following week over 18 holes was won by John W. Mill so Jimmy was unfortunately not crowned champion on that occasion.  Jimmy is remembered as a tall slim, bespectacled man with a lazy, repetitive swing which was very effective as his record bears out.  He not only had abundant talent as a golfer but was also an accomplished and successful badminton player who representedScotlandin international badminton matches on 16 occasions from 1933 to 1949.

David Snr. and his sons were invaluable to the club providing golf services and sports equipment to the members from their sports shop.  This would appear to have been a part time service to the Club, and the arrangement came to an end when a full time professional was appointed in 1938, namely James Kilroy, who before obtaining the post at Douglas Park was Assistant to Willie Spark at Lanark Golf Club.  Jimmy Kilroy was killed in WW2 in 1945 whilst on active service with the RAF inItaly.

David Snr. was a respected Scottish golf professional and clubmaker whose career spanned the late 19th and early 20th centuries and who had a very happy association with Douglas Park for a period of 28 years.  He was made an honorary member of the Club in 1931.  He died in 1945.

Herbert was killed in 1941 on active service with the RAF inNorth Africain WW2.  As a Club, we have very little knowledge of Herbert and his time at Douglas Park.  He is commemorated on the War Memorial Plaque in the clubhouse as are James Kilroy and others. 

 H. MacAnespie 

 Archivist

Douglas Park Golf Club

30th November 2012

Comments { 2 }

A history of Douglas Park you didn’t know!

A history of Douglas Park you didn’t know!
Joe Louis, “The Brown Bomber” Visits Douglas Park
American Joe Louis was arguably the greatest boxer of all time.  His professional career spanned a period of seventeen years from 1934 to 1951.  His record is impressive, 68 professional fights, 65 wins (51 by knockout), and only three losses.  His other sporting love was golf at which he was a fair performer.  He was instrumental in the colour bar, which existed in the American golfing scene at that time, being lifted, when in 1952, he was invited to play in the San Diego Open on a sponsors exemption, the first African-American to play in an American PGA event.   In 1942 he enlisted in the United States army and became a touring celebrity giving exhibition bouts and helping to improve the morale of the troops in various parts of the world.
Closer to home, a fondly remembered member of Douglas Park was Bruce Swadel, at that time the Sports Editor of the Scottish Daily Express.  Bruce wrote much of the early draft of the book “A History of Douglas Park Golf Club.”  In the course of his work he was in contact with visiting celebrities in the world of sport and often brought them out to play at Douglas Park as his guest.
From 9th to 13th July 1944, Joe Louis was in Glasgow to give some exhibition bouts in St. Andrews Halls which were situated next to the Mitchell Library.  Confused by the name of the venue, Joe concluded that there might be time for a little golf as they were in St. Andrews, ‘The Home of Golf’, and his ambition was to play the Old Course.  Disappointment came when he eventually realised that the ‘Home of Golf’ was 75 miles away in Fife.  Bruce, when he heard this, came to the rescue and arranged for Joe to come for a round at Douglas Park.  Bruce could not play that day but he told Joe that he had arranged for him to play with the Douglas Park Clubmaster, Jimmy Luke.  Joe duly arrived and reported to Jimmy in our upstairs lounge, conversing through a hatch in the wall measuring about one square metre which in those days represented the bar counter.  One can imagine that Joe was wondering what he had let himself in for, especially when Jimmy slid back the hatch, greeted the guest, the reigning world heavyweight boxing champion, and sent him off saying, “on you go then lad, I’ll just shut up the hatch and I’ll see you on the first tee.”  Jimmy eventually joined the entourage on the tee, which consisted of Joe plus his large black Master Sergeant caddie, and numerous army personnel resplendent in their uniforms.  One can only guess what Joe was thinking when Jimmy appeared on the tee clutching a small pencil bag containing a few whippy shafted clubs.  Some members recall that they were hickory shafted although accounts differ on this point.  What is agreed is that they were nothing like as grand as Joe’s state of the art American sticks, and they were very whippy indeed.  By all accounts, Joe quickly came to realise that this was not just an ordinary Clubmaster he was playing with.  In fact, Jimmy had a notable career as a professional golfer and he was a long hitter with his whippy shafts.  He had been the Professional at Windyhill Golf Club before coming to Douglas Park as Clubmaster.
Sadly, no detailed account of this memorable match survives, except for what happened at the 4th.  The story goes that Joe hit a nice drive down to the corner.  In those days there were no trees on the right.  In reply, Jimmy whipped his drive across the corner near to the green, pitched close, and holed for a birdie three.
A day or so after this memorable visit, Past House Convener Bill Mackinlay, who was a junior member at the time, was playing at Douglas Park when he found a golf ball.  It was a Spalding and had the words “Bomber” stamped on it.  Was this a ball specially produced by Spalding for Joe Louis or was it just a variety with the name of a type of war plane ?  A recent enquiry to Spalding at their HQ in Chicopee, USA, produced the answer “we don’t know” in reply.  We will therefore probably never know for sure, but the ball can be seen in the golf memorabilia display cabinet in the hallway.
Joe never did get to play golf at St. Andrews, although he probably could have had the time to do so.  To his great credit he chose to spend his remaining time in Glasgow visiting war wounded troops being treated in Glasgow hospitals.
H. MacAnespie
14th March 2010
Acknowledgements
I am grateful to Past Captain Nicol McLean and Past House Convener Bill Mackinlay for their help in preparing this account, and for Bill’s donation of the ball to our collection of historical items.
Comments { 0 }

A history of one of our members – Willie Tulloch

A history of one of our members – Willie Tulloch
(article courtesy of Past Captain Harry MacAnespie)
William Tulloch 1898-1980

 Willie Tulloch, as he was known, was a member of Douglas Park Golf Club in early days of the club.
There is a reference to him in the book of Douglas Park’s history, but few nowadays will know of him and his remarkable achievements.
He joined Douglas Park as a junior member along with his twin brother Robert on 7th May 1914 at the age of 15 years.
The Tullochs were obviously a golfing family. Father John T. Tulloch was possibly a founder member of the club, eldest brother John F. Tulloch was good enough to play for the Club team in the 1920s, but it is not known if Willie’s mother Catherine or his sister Catherine played golf.
The family business was concerned with the manufacture of sausages and seemed to provide a good living, for Willie was able to live the life of a sportsman without the need to earn his living, being what we would call nowadays a full time amateur.
He was a scratch handicap player at Douglas Park but on the wider stage his endeavours took him to national and international achievements mainly in the 1920s and 1930s and his record of trophies won is highly impressive.
With the outbreak of World War I his pursuit of golf was interrupted when he and his twin brother Robert joined up.
We know that Robert joined the 2nd Battalion, The Highland Light Infantry, so it is likely that this was Willie’s regiment also. Willie survived the war, but brother Robert, like so many other young men, was sadly killed in action on 11th September 1918, aged 19 years.
Back in civvy street, Willie lost no time in resuming his golf. He won our club championship in 1920 and 1924, but the paucity of his wins here is probably explained firstly by his talents increasingly taking him to national and international events, and secondly by the fact that he became a member of three other golf clubs, notably Cathkin Braes (which eventually became his home club), Prestwick St Nicholas, and Western Gailes.
The family lived for many years in St Vincent Street in the centre of Glasgow but later moved to a villa in Prestwick very near to Prestwick St. Nicholas Golf Club. Willie never married, but by all accounts he retained his interest in golf as he grew older, and was involved in passing on his skills and advice to the younger generation of golfers at the St. Nicholas Club. Always the traditionalist, he is reported to have continued to play with hickory shafted clubs until the 1960s.
He died in 1980 aged 83.

Among his many golfing achievements are the following :

 

British Amateur Championship

  • Semifinalist     1928 and 1931

Scottish Amateur Championship

  • Runner-up        1924
  • Semi-finalist     1926 and1932

The Open Championship

  • Qualified          1926
  • Qualified          1932
  • 2nd Best Amateur

Tennant Cup*

  • Winner              1926 and 1927

Edward Trophy*

  • Winner              1924, 1925, 1926, 1929, and 1931

Glasgow Championship*

  • Winner              1929

Cameron-Corbett Vase*

  • Winner              1932

Arrol Cup*

  • Winner              1924, 1926, and 1934

The Post and Telegraph Cup

  • Runner-up        1922

 

Glasgow and West of Scotland

Alliance Championship*

  • Winner             1936

Western Union Team Trophy

  • Team Winner   1938

Member Scottish International Team

  • v England       1929, 1930, 1931, and 1932
  • v Ireland         1930, 1931, and 1932
  • v Wales           1931 and 1932

Scottish International Team

  • Captain            1932

Willie also took part in exhibition matches in various parts of the country along with players such as Henry Cotton.

Douglas Park Club Championship

  • Winner            1920 and 1924

[* these were and are prestigious amateur events which attracted, and continue to attract, many of the top amateurs from all parts of Scotland and beyond.]

Thanks are due to the golf clubs of Cathkin Braes and Prestwick St. Nicholas for help in this research.

There may be other achievements of W. Tulloch which have not been elicited.

Douglas Park Golf Club is indebted to Mr. Nevin McGhee, member, historian, and archivist of Glasgow Golf Club for his generous gift of items of memorabilia relating to William Tulloch, prominent amateur golfer and member of Douglas Park Golf Club from 1914 until the 1930s.

The items consist of :-

  • Replica, Douglas Park Golf Club Championship Winner’s Cup,   1920
  • Replica, Douglas Park Golf Club Championship Winner’s Cup,   1924
  • Replica, Glasgow and Lanarkshire Alliance Open
  • Championship Winner’s Cup, 1936

Also, a collection of photographs and press cuttings featuring Willie Tulloch and some of his contemporaries.  This gift has had the effect of stimulating research into the life and times of William Tulloch, prominent member and eminent golfer at Douglas Park and other golf clubs.

In addition to the Willie Tulloch items, Mr. McGhee has gifted a copy of a book, of which he is the author, entitled “The Home of the Glasgow Golf Club”, published in 2003 to celebrate the centenary of the Glasgow Club’s move to Killermont.  This volume is No. 1,434 of a limited edition of 1,500.

Douglas Park Golf Club is extremely grateful to Mr. McGhee for these gifts, which are currently displayed in our hallway display cabinet.

H. MacAnespie
12th July 2010.

 

Comments { 0 }