In June 1897 Mr Will Gibson invited “a number of his influential friends and neighbours” to a meeting to discuss the formation of a golf course on the ground at Douglas Park on Milngavie Road. Eleven people turned up and within 14 weeks they had taken a lease on the land, drained the land and constructed a nine hole course. The also accepted an estimate to build an iron clubhouse for the sum of £150 and the course duly opened in October 1897.
The railway to Milngavie had opened in 1863 and membership of Douglas Park mushroomed when a station was built at Hillfoot almost adjacent to the course. Additional ground was quickly acquired and an eighteen hole layout designed by Willie Fernie of Troon. This opened on 5th September 1903. After further changes, the ground presently occupied by the club was purchased in 1922 and further ground was acquired in 1932 leading to the formation of the course which is recognisable as our present day layout subject to one or two later adjustments.
The present clubhouse was opened in 1938 and provides locker rooms and a generously proportioned lounge with a panoramic view over the first and eighteenth holes.
Douglas Park has produced a number of very fine golfers and among the most notable were two who came through our junior ranks and are still with us as regular playing members.
Harry MacAnespie was winner of the British Boys Golf Championship at St Andrews in 1949, beating future Ryder Cup player, Norman Drew in the final.
David Carrick’s distinguished career included winning the Scottish Amateur Championship in 1985 and representing Great Britain and Ireland in the Walker Cup in 1983 and 1987. He was later a Walker Cup selector for many years.
Belle Robertson, who played in seven Curtis Cup matches and subsequently captained the British team, has been an honorary member of Douglas Park since 1989.